Broughton, Glenholm, and Kilbucho
- BROUGHTON, GLENHOLM, and KILBUCHO, a parish, in the county of Peebles; containing 929 inhabitants, of whom 294 are in Glenholm, 361 in Kilbucho, and 274 in Broughton, including 85 in the village of Broughton, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Rachan Mill. This parish is bounded on the east and south by the river Tweed, and consists of the whole of the ancient parishes of Broughton and Glenholm, and the greater portion of that of Kilbucho. It is about nine miles and a half in length, and three miles and a half in average breadth, and comprises about 20,000 acres, of which 5000 are arable, 300 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, of which not more than 1000 are capable of cultivation, meadow land and hill pasture. The surface is greatly diversified with hill and dale, and intersected by mountainous ridges and fertile valleys. Rachan Hill, in the district of Glenholm, is a detached eminence, rising precipitously from the plain, on the side towards the Tweed, and sloping by a gentle declivity towards the Holms water; it is covered with verdure to its very summit, and forms an interesting feature in the landscape. A chain of mountainous heights, extending for nearly three miles, from north to south, intersects the parish, separating Broughton from the parishes of Stobo and Kirkurd. Another extending for nearly five miles, in a direction from north-east to south-west, separates Glenholm from Kilbucho and the parish of Culter; a third range stretches for nearly three miles parallel with the Tweed; and there are some others, of which one passes through the district of Broughton. The highest points of these ranges, which in general are precipitous, are, Culterfell, Cardon, and Chapelgill, of which the first has an elevation of 2430 feet above the sea, and the others are very little inferior in height. Between the ranges of hills, are several beautiful valleys, of which the vale of Glenholm, extending for nearly four miles, is strikingly picturesque, and is enlivened by the Holms water; the Biggar water, which forms a boundary between the district of Broughton and those of Glenholm and Kilbucho, receives various rivulets, among which are the Holms water and the Broughton and Kilbucho burns, and falls into the Tweed near Drummelzier. At Rachan are two small lakes, studded with islands, richly wooded, and of which one abounds with trout, and the other with perch; among the hills are several springs, of which the water is intensely cold, and in the old glebe land of Broughton, is a well possessing some medicinal properties.The soil, in the upper parts of the valleys, is rather inclined to moss, and in the lower parts, is a deep rich loam; near the confluence of the Biggar with the Broughton burn, the land is extremely fertile. The chief crops are, wheat, barley, oats, peas, potatoes, and turnips; the system of husbandry is in an advanced state; the woods contain but little old timber, and most of the plantations are of comparatively modern growth. The rateable annual value of Broughton is £1579; of Glenholm, £2625; and Kilbucho, £3230. The chief substrata are, greywacke, limestone, and slate, which were once quarried in Glenholm; sand of a remarkably fine quality is found in the district of Broughton, and there are numerous pits of good gravel. Of the various houses in the parish, Rachan, Mossfennan, and Broughton Place are the principal; the mansion of Broughton was burnt by an accidental fire in 1774, and rebuilt with the old materials, on a smaller scale. The village was once a considerable market for cattle; but a fair only is now held, on the 3rd of October, principally for hiring servants, and for the sale of various wares. The road from Edinburgh to Dumfries passes through the parish. Broughton is in the presbytery of Biggar and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and in the patronage of William Renny, Esq.; the minister's stipend is £231. 1. 10., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £64. 14. 9. per annum. The church, which is situated in the district of Kilbucho, and nearly in the centre of the parish, is a plain substantial edifice, erected in 1804, and adapted for a congregation of 500 persons. A place of worship has been erected in connexion with the Free Church. There are three parochial schools, one in each of the three districts; the master of each has a salary of £32, with a house and garden, and the fees for Broughton amount to about £25, for Glenholm to £30, and for Kilbucho to £31. Numerous remains may be traced of circular camps, one of which, called Macbeth's Castle, was surrounded with a double intrenchment. Some stone coffins, also, containing human skeletons, have been found near the confluence of the Biggar and the Tweed, in a tumulus; one of the bodies was of gigantic size, and the arms were encircled with bracelets of gold or yellow metal.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Glenholm — GLENHOLM, county of Peebles. See Broughton, Glenholm, and Kilbucho … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Kilbucho — KILBUCHO, county of Peebles. See Broughton, Glenholm, and Kilbucho … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
List of Church of Scotland parishes — The Church of Scotland, the national church of Scotland, divides the country into presbyteries, which are subdivided into parishes, each served by a parish church, usually with its own minister. Unions and readjustments may however result in a… … Wikipedia